For the man I will always love

I turn my head and my eyes search for him. Amidst a hundred people, I see him standing calmly at one corner, weeping silently, looking at his girl walk away from him.
He knows I'd stay back in a second but he wouldn't ask me to make that sacrifice for the sake of my embrace, his conscience wouldn't let him do that.
Tears roll down his cheeks as I take steps away from him, unaware of when he would see me again. He keeps a brave face and smiles at me, encouraging me to take bigger steps.
I move out today. However, I'm not as excited about my life to come as i should be, because I'm leaving my love behind. I'm leaving my father behind.
***
The oldest memory that I have with him is of me sitting on his lap, playing with his identity card. I wouldn't give him a minute to change after he returned from work, so that I could have him all for myself, not a single more moment lost.
My father is an ordinary man, with an ordinary job, who lived an ordinary life until he married an extraordinary woman. My mother knew little about the world, but, knew that love, and, only love could turn everything magical. And, thus began their journey that reached the thirty year milestone last month.
I don't say this as an awestruck child who thinks of her parents as heroes. But, as a completely rational person who has seen her parents struggle daily to ensure a smile on our faces, who sacrificed countlessly to help us grow into mature, knowledgeable adults.

My father turned 55 this week. And, though, he and I have a long, long journey to pursue together, I want him to know that he'll always be my first love.
The love who saved me from drowning in the ocean, who thought it was completely reasonable for me to skip school if I was lazy, who protected me from stalkers and, despite my notoriety, loved me unconditionally.

Thank you, my hero.
Happy Birthday!

Comments

  1. ITS A DREAM FOR ME TO HAVE FATHER ....
    BUT AFTER READIN THIS I WOULD PRAY TO LORD THAT IF FATHER WORD EXISTS THEN GIVE ME IN THIS KIND ONLY.
    SO THAT I CAN FORGWT ABOUT ALL THAT I WENT THROUGH WITHOUT FATHER.
    THUMBS UP MUGHEEEE....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you muggu..i am lil shy telling my parents that how much I love them but after reading this I exactly know what o have to do..loads of love to you baby and your doing great..:* :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a very sweet way of saying happy birthday Mugdha!

    serene yet powerful way to depict those tender emotions :)



    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember him from the day one of your entering in our class. He was accompanying a lil girl in navy blue dress and asking teachers to allow you to attend the class in casuals. Glad its still as it is. Happy Birthday to uncle :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I made peace with your death

A Eulogy to my husband