To My Human

Religiously, every evening at seven, you would come out of the back gate and feed my friends and I dinner. I’ll be honest, I didn’t know what added up to dinner until you started visiting. I’m glad you did.

Years went on and I would still see you come with my delicious meal everyday, sitting with me while I ate leisurely. I liked you more than I liked a full stomach. It was your smile and your warm lap.

I have seen you cry every time a car sped over my foot, hurriedly taking me to the unpleasant man in the clinic, or, every time I lost my cool at a friend and got wounded. I apologize for the tears.

You gave me warmth on the coldest evenings, a rug to sleep on and a bright ball that kept me entertained for most part of my life.

Which is why I need to go away now. I am thirteen and ailing, I am not strong enough to let you cry or suffer, thus, I’m walking away to the sunset. Wave at me while I go and know that my soul will find a way to come back to you.

I love you, human. You have been kind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I made peace with your death

A Eulogy to my husband

For the man I will always love