A Eulogy to my husband



I opened a letter today.  It was written by a 14 year old girl having her whole life ahead of her.
She had hopes and dreams like any other her age; to meet the man of her dreams, to marry him in a beautiful ceremony, have wonderful children and for her to grow old with her husband whilst sitting on their porch.
Some might say that girl was delusional to expect a life so perfect, but, she believed that these events were bound to happen by the power of the universe.

The girl weeps today, cocooned inside the four walls of her room. She hasn’t stepped out since July 17th, 1999, and, she doesn’t intend to, anytime in the future.
She has no reason to leave, everything that reminds her of him is right here. The beige quilt they spent endless nights cuddling in, the scatter of pictures that were taken since the day they first met, all the letters he wrote to her from when he was away, and, in the cupboard laid the uniform he was wearing the day he passed. It was spotted with bloodstains, but, that didn’t hassle her.

She was informed that he was ‘Missing in Action’ until they finally found his body three days later. She was hopeful to open the door to an exultant soldier; instead, she was greeted by two soldiers holding his trunk, the trunk that spelt his name in bold letters. What happened for the next few days was a blur to her, it still is.

***
You’ve made me a stronger woman. Thanks to you, I have learnt the pain of loving and losing. I may never step out of isolation again; and, will wait for my last breath here, in your ethereal presence.
But, I know that you are not gone forever, and, no matter how my life pans out, you are here, alongside my soul, guiding me to you, for me to absorb everything that I have of you and for me to come back to you.
I know that people think I need to seek help, but, it’s not a cry for help.
You and I were created to be soul mates; in this life, or another.
I will see you before long, my love.
I will see you.

- The girl in the beige shorts

Comments

  1. Reminds me of the "Army Life"
    Those women.. Sad !

    Well felt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how she feels stronger in her isolation of his presence. She wants him but not the pity of the world. She is incomplete yet complete.

    love the way the wrote the series of events in the most influential manner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the message was conceived so correctly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written girl
    can completely relate it.
    though its a story bt doesn't sound so.
    just lik a real 1 .
    Thumbs up ....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I made peace with your death

For the man I will always love